Friday, 21 February 2014

What To Do When You Involved In A Road Accident In Australia?

Car Accident 300x200 What should you do if you are involved in an accident with a cyclist?

If you involved in a road accident and you are not injured, it is worthwhile to record the facts while you are on the scene. You will need a record if reporting to the police, filling in your insurance claim or taking other action to recover your repair costs. Hear is a checklist of facts to record: (it can be applied in Malaysia too)

Details of Accident

  • Date?
  • Was the road wet or dry?
  • Width of road?
  • Was your vehicle on the correct side of the road?
  • Estimated speed both vehicle at time of impact
  • If after sunset, was accident site well lit?
  • Sketch of accident scene
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses

Other Vehicle (s)

  • Driver's name, licence number, address and phone number
  • If different, owner's name and address
  • Make, model and registration number
  • Extent of damage
  • Was the vehicle already damaged before this accident?
  • Name of insurance company, policy number and type
  • Did other driver admit liability? Record exact words

Injured Persons

  • Names and addresses of injured persons
  • Degree of injuries

Damage to Property

  • Details of damage to property other than vehicles
  • Name and address of owner of damaged property


  • Name of tow truck service
  • Destination of towed vehicle

Police Involvement
Police must be called to an accident if anyone is killed or injured, or either of the drivers appears to be affected by alcohol or drugs. It must also be reported if either driver leaves the scene without exchanging details.
If police are called, record the following:

  • Name of attending officers and their police station
  • The reading obtained if other driver was breathalysed
  • Whether the police laid blame or mentioned charges

If the police are not called, report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment